Comics all over the world!

I'm a huge fan of indie and experimental animation, and had seen all three films you mentioned on the course page (Persepolis, Triplets of Bellevue, and Fantastic Planet.)
I was absolutely fascinated with Persepolis the first time that I saw it. It was the story of a girlhood, one that I related to thoroughly. I skimmed the comic book this week and it reminded me of both Maus and March. It told the story of Iran through the story of her life, like March did with the civil rights movement. The style carried a lot of similarities to Maus and the underground comics movement. It was direct and personal- not afraid to bend reality visual or go on funny anecdotal tangents.
You mentioned the importance Moebius  and Jodorowsky in class. I've read part of The Incal and Metabarons. Both were rich, intense, surreal, unflinchingly adult sci-fi universes. I was drawn to the Incal because of the beautiful and rich world-building and art. Actually comprehending the story page by page was kind of tedious for me however. The style of storytelling was surreal bordering on nonsensical.
Learning the context of Euro-comics and the differences between European and American audiences, I understand this more. European's don't seemed to be constrained to the same storytelling templates that American audiences are familiar with. More contemplative or out-there ways of expression are fair game.
I also read BlackSad. I heard it was good, but was absolutely astounded by the art when i first opened it. A distinct and beautiful visual style that feels familiar and timeless, with mesmerizing character design that shows a complete understanding of human and animal anatomy and caricature. I checked some issues out from the library and first just sketched some of the art. Then, while lugging them around with me I decided to actually read the whole thing. It was a surprisingly timely noir thriller about race relations and morality. I was impressed again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Graphic Narrative

Understanding Comics

The Killing Joke