The Underground

The first comic I opened up (after putting on the appropriate music of course) was Cheech Wizard. I was familiar with Vaughn Bone's art style because I've read some Deadbone Erotica, which fascinated me. While Deadbone was a psychedelic trip, Cheech seemed more like a satire.

I also read a selection from Tits and Clits. My favorite story was about a female sex addict who had to resort to selling and doing heroin to fuel her sex addiction. It was an excellent satire of role reversal, challenging the stereotype of the beautiful but fallen addict who turns to prostitution. What was interesting to me about this early feminist work was that all the women were feminine and sexual. In other works that feature strong women, like Tankgirl for example, I feel like the author tries to repress the characters feminine side to display their strong side. A women doesn't need masculine features like a bald head, scars, and gritty clothes to prove she's strong.

Out of the comics we read in class, the Gay comic collection surprised me the most. The cover was a flustered guy taking a peak at a gorgeous muscular man in a jockstrap eating a hotdog. I flipped it open expecting pandering erotica, but that's not what I discovered. Instead was a collection of personal works by gay cartoonists, discussing their everyday lives, stories, and views of the world.

The first story I read ended up being my favorite.  It was a lesbian woman's entire life story, from her awkward childhood to sham marriage to sexual exploits, and finally a loving partner. It was deeply intimate and raw while being really funny and page-turning entertaining. She expressed emotion so clearly with a range of comic techniques.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Graphic Narrative

Understanding Comics

The Killing Joke